A Quick Introduction

Not many people know exactly what an Essential Fatty Acid is, and I'm sure even more people would associate fatty acids with being a bad thing because they have the word "fat" associated with them. The reason I chose to do a blog about them was to show that this negative connatation is not true, and in fact is the exact opposite of what fatty acids do! I want people to see that these EFA's are completely essential like there name implies, and hope to show them how much they should be getting on a regular basis, as well as, show them what types of food or supplements they can find these fatty acids in. I hope you enjoy reading this blog and find it helpful in learning about Essential Fatty Acids!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Omega-3s And Stroke Prevention


According to the CDC, every 40 seconds, someone in America suffers a stroke.  And every three to four minutes someone dies from a stroke.  For me, this is a very serious problem.  Especially since the CDC ranks it as the third most common cause of death to Americans behind coronary heart disease and cancer.  In my last post I talked about how Omega-3s are useful in preventing heart disease, and this week I found a journal article thats shows the eating plenty of fish, filled with essential fatty acids, can also help prevent strokes!  This article from the Journal of American Medicine Association states that "eating fish at least once a month reduces risk of ischemic stroke."  It would seem to me that eating something like fish, that contains huge amounts of essential fatty acids, that can lower risk for heart disease and stroke should be extremely important in every ones diet!  And if the fish itself can't be obtained, from the articles I have read,  a fish oil supplement seems to do the trick just as well.  I just hope this article I found can help people make some smarter health decisions when it comes to buying there foods.  Also, if fish or a fish oil supplement isn't obtainable please check out this link to another post of mine .  It has plenty of other options to obtain both Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids.


Reference List:

http://www.cdc.gov/stroke/facts.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment